Wednesday 6 August 2008

Some Stuff

Here's the latest of our sewing stuff. I made another little Arno Cat softy to give to my 2-year-old cousin. It's made from wool felt and was really a joint effort from both of us. I hand-sewed the face and Crafty Things did the machine sewing to put him together and stuffed him.


He is from the Softies book and is very quick and easy to make. He is the perfect size for little people to hold and play with.

Another present has also been made for a friend of mine, whose birthday is tomorrow. I thought of a bag idea that I liked and Crafty Things tried to make it up. It didn't turn out quite as I imagined but I still like it.


The front view. It has two small pleats to give it shape, a longish strap and flap held shut with a magnetic clasp. After it was finished I thought it needed some decoration near the bottom as it was rather 'top heavy' so we came up with adding the ribbon bow. Crafty Things found the instructions to make the double loops which looks more interesting than a normal one. It is on a coil-less safety pin so that it can be taken off. It is lined and we made a matching zippered pouch and handbag organizer to keep everything tidy inside.



The back view. The flap was put on after the bag was finished and lines up with the pleats, kinda by luck. Size-wise it's in between a tote bag and handbag so that the recipient can fit everything under the sun inside it! We put a layer of flannelette in between the bag and lining to make it a bit firmer, like in Amy Karol's book.



Next time, I'd make the pleated part a bit shorter and add a yoke on top so the pleats are further down and not as hidden by the flap. The strap could also be a little narrower.

4 comments:

  1. All your projects look great! I'm sure all the recipiants will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely design work avid crafter - thanks for sharing your tips for modifications. I think that is a valuable part of the design process being able to evaluate and change ont he next prototype. Your little cousin is going to love Arno - what a great idea to use felt (saves having to turn it out). His face is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow love that bag it is so sweet.
    The little toy is just so cute I would love one for my Boyz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cat is SO cute..wool felt is the best and you can certainly tell the difference.. and the bag is really beautiful! Well done :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our crafty blog. Your comments are appreciated.